Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Leaking Reservoirs!

OK, so the reality of owning and driving a 20 year old car is that you have to be willing to pop open the hood on a regular basis. This isn't like your typical new BMW or Audi where you drive it into the dealership once a year, get a loaner, and then come back in a few days to pick your car up fully serviced and washed.

Lately, my coolant levels and power steering fluids have been dropping a little too quick for comfort so I had to tighten some hose clamps.

Leaking PS reservoir

Photobucket

The coolant hoses were a bit tougher. It took me some time to localize where the slow leak was coming from. Turns out it was one of the lower coolant hoses that connect directly to the radiator. The clamp wasn't easy to access. I had to remove the radiator fan in order to tighten in properly.

Also, it seems the upper reservoir hose looks a bit brittle and there is some caked coolant residue. Will probably have to replace that hose the next time I flush the radiator.


Photobucket

With my c900, I generally work on my car every weekend. Tasks can range from a wash/detail to resealing your windshield, oil/filter change, inspecting your belts and hoses, etc. And then occasionally, you need some kind of major repair.

This type of automobile/driver relationship isn't for everyone. But for people that enjoy working on cars (like me), they wouldn't have it any other way! Not only is there a great deal of satisfaction in maintaining and repairing your own ride, it also creates a stronger bond with your car. I always get attached to the cars I drive, but I have to say that in the short time that I've driven my Saab 900 S, I've grown more attached to it than any other car.

No comments: