Friday, April 10, 2009

Power Steering fluid still leaking

After a week, I noticed the PS fluid was still leaking. In fact, it seems to have gotten worse. It went from the max line to the "add fluid" line in a matter of weeks.

This time I loosened the bolts that were holding the reservoir to get a closer look. Well, apparently, the clamp is nice and tight, but it's clamping down on nothing but the hose and not the reservoir nozzle (sorry about image quality. Don't like handling my Nikon when my hands are covered in grease).


Photobucket


The fix (without having to spill oil all over the place) is very simple. Just attach another clamp in the proper place. Don't even need to remove the old clamp. Just loosen it so it is no longer warping the hose.


Photobucket


May, 16, 2009: As an update, even tightening the clamps properly didn't do the trick. I'm still getting PS fluid on the ground where I park my car. My local indie mechanic (Swedish Auto Tech in North Hollywood) diagnosed the problem as having a faulty steering rack. Problem solved. (properly this time!)

No comments: